FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Race Attendance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
law_dog8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote law_dog8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Race Attendance
    Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 1:22pm

This is the first Bristol Cup race that I've missed in 15 years.  I know it wasn't packed last spring, but looking on tv, it looks like there is even more empty seats this year.   WOW

bradleygriffey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradleygriffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 1:27pm
I know a lot of folks that are missing their first one in years, just like you and I.  I started a new job or I may have gone, but I could not afford to even ask for the days off.
DebMyers530 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DebMyers530 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 1:43pm
sad to say my job is on the line,along with the rest of my coworkers.so didnt want to take a chance and spend money i may need.hate to miss the race.
Scottt View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 2:19pm
Monte Dutton reporting it's half full today
dawg37179 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawg37179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 2:21pm
BMS is going to HAVE to finally realize that they need to drop thier prices dramatically!!!!!!
Proud Jellovillian!

mnikeh View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 3:17pm
Guy just said there was 130000 in attendance....there is no way is there?
law_dog8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote law_dog8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 3:56pm
They may have sold 130,000 tickets, but I'm sure they don't have that many seats being sat in. 
racenut View Drop Down
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 4:03pm
Saw a lot of tickets this morning on local craigslist. Next year even more of the season tickets holders that only buy tickets to resale them won't renew and the 130000 number will fall fast. Gate looks like 60,000 maybe by looking on TV, backstretch is empty. Sad really, but just isn't worth the ticket prices anymore.
Mike
bfcracing11 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfcracing11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 9:26pm
official number is 120,000. But I even think that was a stretch. Just a few thousand more than yesterday. Its time they start looking at lowering ticket prices. Daytona, Phoenix, and Vegas had good crowds. Its not for lack of interest. I dont even think its because of the track. Ticket prices are the same as they were before the recession. Thats just not going to cut it.
Campin' The Way It Oughta Be
racenut View Drop Down
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 10:28pm
I think they will have to adjust prices before next spring, the fall race shouldn't be as bad.
Mike
bradleygriffey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradleygriffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 11:01pm
I look for a reduction too, but a lot of season tickets have already been sold and I dont see them issuing partial refunds.
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 11:39pm
That was really sad to see.  If there were 100,000 there in total, I'd be surprised.  They may have sold 120,000, but I doubt it.

I'm in disbelief that it looked that bad.  I still say that Bristol is doing everything they can, but it's just a poor product that Nascar sells right now, and of course the economy is nowhere near being out of the woods yet. 

The ticket price isn't the problem (IMHO). They could cut ticket prices in half, but it still wouldn't help attendance that much.
HarleyMan25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarleyMan25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 1:04am
Daytona, phoenix, and Vegas all sold out, and the season up till this weekends borefest was riding a huge wave of momentum, so I have to call BS on the argument of bad product or economy. Let's just face facts that the Bristol we all knew and loved is gone. To me its just a mini version of California, Michigan, or Pocono. The money I saved by giving up my seats I am going to Martinsville and Richmond this year to watch some REAL short track racing.
racenut View Drop Down
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 6:41am
I was discussing this with a long time Bristol season ticket holder and a good friend not long ago. He has stopped going strickly for the cost. He still gets his tickets (really good front straight seats) and then tries to sell them. He told me that for the cost of going to Bristol (camping, tickets, fuel, etc) he can go to Talladega and Charlotte (both of which which he has had season tickets also for a number of years along with Atlanta). I'm not sure its just about the ticket prices, but when you add the cost of camping (or motel) and everything else, you can easily spend 1000 dollars for a husband and wife to go, and the show isn't worth it.
I went last year to the WoO finals at The Dirt Track at Charlotte Speedway and had a blast. Now I understand dirt racing isn't for everyone, but the whole weekend tickets (2 nights of racing for 3 classes) was $65 and a spot for 3 nights in Tom Johnson Campground with full hookups was $125 and we had a blast. Thats to much of a price difference when you really think about it. The boon is over NASCAR, you better start courting the fans that are, and have been, loyal to your product, not the ones that went to a race just to say they went to a race because it was the "in" thing, they are gone.

Edited by racenut - 21 Mar 2011 at 6:48am
Mike
RyanLeGrand View Drop Down
CMS Fan Advisory Board
CMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanLeGrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 9:51am

It might be partly economic...but that race yesterday was a lot of the reason why people are not coming any more.  Other than a 15 lap segment, there was really not much worth watching.  I was there...it was really about as boring of a race as I have ever seen.  It is really sad to see Bristol reduced to a 60% full track with very little action on the track.  It honestly breaks by heart because my fondness NASCAR memories of Bristol were formed there. 

Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:10am
   I don't think the ticket prices have anything to do with it.  My red terrace seats cost me less than HALF what a front stretch ticket to the Daytona 500 costs.  Bristol's ticket prices are not only comparable to other tracks in some cases they are less so that is not the issue.  I was there all weekend and yesterday's RACING was some of the best I've seen from the cup series in a while.  Granted Kyle Boosch stunk it up at the front again but there was great RACING all through the field for the entire race.  For those that are b!tc#!ng about ticket prices and lack of action you can get a ticket to North Wilkesboro's Demo Derby and Chain Race for $15.  This past weekend's empty seats are a result of high gas prices, a record cost of living, and no jobs.....in short IT'S THE ECONOMY.  The recent increase in fuel prices is probably the largest factor.  You've got to remember that diesel is running about 30 to 40 cents a gallon HIGHER than gas and most camper pullers and motor homes run on diesel.
Bring back North Wilkesboro Speedway!!!!
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:12am
Here's Jayski's five year chart on attendance at the Cup tracks:

I think some of Nascar's "actual" numbers look a little high, but the trend is clear, regardless.  

I said above that there is nothing Bristol can do, but I was wrong to the extent they can do something with the track (if it can be done).  They may not want the expense of regrading/resurfacing it (and there would still be a risk that it wouldn't work).  But they could make it more narrow to try to make it a little more challenging for the drivers. I agree that it seems to get more boring every year, and that is sad.

We've beat the dead horse a million times as to whether it's the track surface, the cars, the drivers, or whatever.  But whatever it is, no matter how you slice it, it is not as exciting as it once was.

Edited by rusty - 21 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
frankt_01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankt_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:20am

As a former season ticket holder who never thought I'd give up my tickets, I again say that the reason Bristol was so popular was not because of the location, the track staff, the weather, the economy, or seeing someone other than #18 win a race.  It was the racing itself.  "Racing the way it oughta be" is no more.  I am so glad I gave up my season tickets when I did.  I wish I'd done it sooner.  I remember posting on here when I was considering it.  I remember seeing all the people say how they would be happy to take my tickets.  Well apparently there are too many people like me out there who just don't care for this brand of racing.  To be fair, the economy, weather, gas prices, and other factors do contribute.  But a track doesn't go from a several year waiting list and people driving from Wisconsin to Bristol on ticket resale day HOPING to get tickets, to half empty grandstands because of the weather.  I keep hearing about the economic recovery that's supposidly happening too...  YEAH RIGHT!!  All of these factors contribute.  But to say that it's the economy, not the track is naive at best.  Because if you ask those people who used to hold onto and cherish their season tickets, planning to leave them to their kids in their wills no less, I'm sure a lot of us will tell you where we went or are going on vacation instead this year.  For me, it was Disney World.  Anyone else?

racenut View Drop Down
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:37am
There was an ad on craigslist from a guy wanting to trade Bristol tickets to have trees cut down in his yard! That would have been unheard of just a few years ago. Its plain to see something has changed, and Bristol needs to figure it out (or course if WE can't figure it out, how can they??)
Mike
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:24am
   Here is another thought that NOBODY has mentioned yet and it might have a little merit.  Who owns BMS?  Bruton Smith.  Who closed Rockingham and moved dates out of the Southeast?  Bruton Smith.  Who closed North Wilkesboro and moved dates out of the Southeast?  Bruton Smith.  Who just pulled a spring date from Atlanta and moved the date out of the Southeast?   BRUTON SMITH  Atlanta is only about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Bristol.  Could it be that south east fans are finally fed up with watching Bruton Smith pull dates out of the "birthplace" of NASCAR and are giving Bruton and his facilities the middle finger?  Saying if he thinks these other regions can make him his millions let them?  Maybe not but an interesting thought none the less.
   One other thing for everyone so upset with empty seats and "lack of action".  Perhaps the time may be ripe to begin to petition Bruton Smith to bring NASCAR back to North Wilkesboro.  There would certainly be plenty of ontrack "action" and the 60'000 seats would most deffinately be full.  Don't know about ya'll but I'd love to see it!

Edited by Bowhntr - 21 Mar 2011 at 11:25am
Bring back North Wilkesboro Speedway!!!!
frankt_01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankt_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:29am
I just know why I left.  And for all the hype I heard over the years about why we should want to go to bristol...  AND I DID, it was about the racing that was 2nd to none.  I miss the old Bristol. 
kentucky9 View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentucky9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:42am

........BUT THAT WAS THE PERFECT RACE for the casual fan at home with all kinds of money.  It was as fast of a race as it should be, which would allow the targeted demographic to go champagne sampling, caviar tasting, or to the country club for a round of 18 on a Sunday afternoon.

Bristol.....Allowing Coolers since 1961
BristolBound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BristolBound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:59am
This weekend will probably be my last Spring race.  Due to job change in 2010, last year, I went to Martinsville instead of Bristol.  So in 2011, it was back to Bristol!!!  I haven't missed a Bristol race since March of 1999.  However, I was hoping (again) it was the old Bristol.  It wasn't.

What is wrong with Bristol:
- New concrete and variable banking.  Killed the racing.  It is 1.5 cookie cutter in .5 mile size.
- Pricing is expensive for everything.  I can get four good tickets to Martinsville for $130...same price as one seat in Red Terrace seats.  (2 Adults & 2 Kids)
- Economy

From 2000 to 2008, my group of friends averaged about 18-20.  In 2009, it was down to 4.  In 2010, it was 0.  In 2011, it was 2.  In 2012, it could be zero.  Between my buddy, my brother-in-law and I, we had twenty season tickets.  We retained 4 season tickets in 2010 and ZERO in 2011.  The MAIN reason for not renewing was that racing changed and we did not like it.

I still own seats in Allison (Cup only Spring) and I used them yesterday.  Will I have them next year?  (doubt it).  I just keeping hoping something changes.

FACT:  In our group, 20 season seats were NOT renewed due to the racing.

Has anyone bought more tickets because of the racing?  After Sunday, I doubt it.  For any new race fan that variable banking created, Bristol lost 2 race fans.

Bristol sold out the year it snowed and the year after and year after that.  Now, it can't sell tickets 70+ degree weather.

According to BMS press release to the media (per Jim Noble), Bristol sold 85,000 prior to the weekend and hoped for 15,000 in walk-up sales.

Yesterday was a sad day we knew was all new was coming, but we were all shocked when we saw it.

Bristol is still better, but not the best.  And, that is forever gone...

(My 2012 Spring race will be at Martinsville, not Bristol)

Edited by BristolBound - 21 Mar 2011 at 1:26pm
deircr3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deircr3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 12:22pm
My friend came and got Earnhardt seats for $20 for the cup race. Our merchandise were awful.  
Popping bottles of Patron.
tadpole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 1:03pm
Just my opinion.....But thats the 2nd time that PUNK KYLE BUSCH has swepted Bristol....NOBODY but Dawhg & Beiter want to see that!!!!!LOL Drop the prices & don't let Kyle race there anymore!WinkBig%20smile
Showed up for the party and stayed for the race!I hate BUSCH so bad I made my wife shave hers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic