FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Race Attendance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 1:42pm
Bowhntr,

I don't think fans are mad at Bruton per se, and not coming because of him.  Most don't even know who he is.  But I don't think these track owners realize how much canibalization is taking place by adding a track like Kentucky.  Sure, that track is great for the people in the Kentucky/Ohio area, but guess where a ton of (former) Bristol race attendees live. . .  They are going to go to Kentucky to try it out and not go to Bristol.  So net, net, Bruton is not getting anywhere by adding Kentucky because it is canibalizing his other tracks.

It's kind of like building a Walgreens across the street from a CVS Pharmacy.  There isn't going to be any more total sales revenue or tax revenue because there are now two stores.  They are both just going to compete for the same fixed base of customers.  The Nascar fan base is pretty much fixed and is not growing, so all of these tracks are competing for the same people who have less discretionary income than they did five years ago.

Eventually, when the Bristol spring race and some other formerly large tracks start averaging only 70,000 to 80,000 attandance, then maybe they will bring back North Wilksboro and/or Rockingham to add a little interest.
davey130 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey130 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by BristolBound BristolBound wrote:

What is wrong with Bristol:
- New concrete and variable banking.  Killed the racing.  It is 1.5 cookie cutter in .5 mile size.
- Pricing is expensive for everything.  I can get four good tickets to Martinsville for $130...same price as one seat in Red Terrace seats.  (2 Adults & 2 Kids)
- Economy

I agree with you!
Proud Family Member of JELLOVILLE!!!
cargilpl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cargilpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 2:01pm
I agree that racing isn't the same at BMS, but I don't agree it's all the track. I first noticed it when they came up with "The Chase." Drivers are being more cautious when it comes to points, which in turn leads to less aggressive driving. I especially notice this during the August night race when the drivers are either just trying to stay clear of trouble to make "The Chase" or just need a good finish to stay in "The Chase." I also think that was part of the problem yesterday since they changed the points format yet again, it is going to be harder to have a "bad day" and make "The Chase" so it's better to take a second, third or whatever place finish than to push to get the one point and possibly wreck. In my opinion, BMS needs to be part of "The Chase" that would make them want to win there and then maybe we could get some of that "Racing the way it Ought to be" back.
HarleyMan25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarleyMan25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 2:27pm
According to Jeff Gluck with SBnation yesterdays ratings were down 7% over last year, the first race of the year to see a dip in ratings.  Now for all you economy apologists do you think people no longer have TV because of the economy?  As was stated before by myself and someone else not only are the tickets too high so is everything else in the area from camping to gas all the way down to food and ice. My wife and I are going to martinsville in two weeks with great frontstretch seats for 60 bucks a ticket, with $100 camping.  Going to Richmond 2 weeks later and getting hotel IN RICHMOND for $110 per night, including a free track shuttle!!!!  It is not the economy's fault that people chose to spend their hard in money in other ways, its Bristol and the surrounding business' fault for not keeping up with the economy and adjusting prices accordingly.  And lets face it the racing plain sucks, watching on TV yesterday Fox's intro and all the hype machine centered around the wrecks and carnage and great finishes of Bristol, the kicker was all those highlights were from years back, nothing recently because there was nothing to highlight.  My prediction in #1 you will see bigger prices decreases, and more flexible plans, and sorry to say, you will see them remove some seating before you ever see them change the track.
racenut View Drop Down
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 2:34pm
One of the guys on sports talk radio this morning was talking about going to Bristol and him and his grandson taking a nap for the middle of the race (he was in a box). He said it was his first race there and he got to go because the radio station had tickets that "were available". He stated he more than likely won't go back.
NASCAR (and the tracks, teams, drivers, etc) have rode the wave like Country Music, Rap Music, Wrestling (got so big they started a football league) and other "fads". The wave settles, real fans stay and others go on to something else. The people in charge have to adjust, cater to the fans that stayed and hope for a new wave. We have to hope that NASCAR won't keep trying to "fix" the problem of getting all those fans, that really weren't fans to begin with, back and move on to making those of us that was around before, during and are still around today happy.

Edited by racenut - 21 Mar 2011 at 2:35pm
Mike
BristolBound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BristolBound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 2:45pm
Davey130 - Thanks for the reply...I am not along on how I feel.

HarleyMan25 - Just read the same thing.  I hope management at the Bruton Smith building is reading this...  The race was shown on broadcast TV (and no 2010 winter olympics this year to hurt the numbers...should have went up)

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/3/21/2063562/bristol-overnight-tv-ratings-dip-first-sprint-cup-race-to-see

Bristol Overnight TV Ratings Dip; First Sprint Cup Race To See Decrease This Year

by Jeff Gluck • Mar 21, 2011 11:41 AM EDT

FOX’s overnight TV ratings for Sunday’s race at Bristol Motor Speedway were down seven percent over last year, according to Austin Karp of SportsBusiness Daily.

That means Bristol, which Karp said dropped to a 3.9 overnight rating from a 4.2 last year, becomes the first race of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season to have a decline in its television rating.

Ratings for the Daytona 500 and the following races at Phoenix and Las Vegas had all been up, sparking renewed optimism that the sport was over its recent struggles.

And while that may be the case in the long run, Bristol was a step back in both ratings and attendance; the 160,000-seat grandstand was only half full.

Bristol once sold out 55 consecutive races until it changed the track, so some fans blame the decline in attendance on the quality of the racing.

Others say gas prices and high hotel rates in the Bristol area are the primary culprits in the track seeing less fans attend its races.

Edited by BristolBound - 21 Mar 2011 at 2:46pm
i_never_bluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i_never_bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 3:00pm

Ticket sales and tv ratings are down for one reason, multi degree banking killed the Bristol that everyone knew and loved. I'm not sure how much it would cost to go back to a single degree of banking, but I can tell you how much has been lost in ticket sales for the past 1 1/2 years:

2010 March Seats not Sold: 30,000 x $93= $ 2,790,000
2010 August Seats not Sold: 5,000 x $109= $   545,000
2011 March Seats not Sold: 40,000 x $93=  $3,720,000
Total Revenue Lost on Tickets:                      $7,055,000

That doesn't count the lost revenue for the Nationwide races or concessions, camping, parking, etc. for both races.

I started going to the track back in the early 1980's when there was just the frontstretch grandstand. People would sneak up and sit on the backstretch hill (at that time). I stopped going after the change in the banking. Yesterday I didn't even turn the tv on. I watched Daytona, Pheonix, and Las Vegas. I'm sorry, but I don't want to see easy, side-by-side short track racing. If Bruton wants my money, he'll have to fix the track. If not, then I'll have some extra time each March and August and several hundred extra dollars in my pocket that would have been used for two trips to BMS.

R.I.P. my beloved Bristol of the past!  
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 4:13pm

The race was shown on broadcast TV (and no 2010 winter olympics this year to hurt the numbers... 
Yep no Olympics...just a little thing called THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
Bring back North Wilkesboro Speedway!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BristolBound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Bowhntr Bowhntr wrote:

The race was shown on broadcast TV (and no 2010 winter olympics this year to hurt the numbers... 
Was there NCAA Tournament in 2010?  Yes.  The NCAA Tournament had no effect in comparing this year with last year.  However, NASCAR qualified the decline in Bristol ratings in 2010 with respects to the Olympics.
Why do you believe attendence and TV ratings are down for Bristol?

Edited by BristolBound - 21 Mar 2011 at 4:32pm
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 4:29pm

Was there NCAA Tournament in 2010?  Yes.  The NCAA Tournament had no effect in comparing this year with last year.  However, NASCAR qualified the decline in Bristol rating in 2010 with respects to the Olympics.

Well in 2010, on March 21 you had the NCAA's and the Olympics.  Look we get it.....several folks think the racing stinks.....some of us like it.  For those that don't BUH BYE move on and stop griping about it.  There are two irrefutable FACTS here.  1)The old track surface HAD to be redone (There was rebar showing)  2) NOBODY knows had the track been put back EXACTLY the same what the racing would look like.  With that said you have a choice of three options.  Stop coming to Bristol and go elsewhere, spend your money on a ticket that is "priced to high" to an event that you don't like, or pony up a few hundred million buy the track and change it back.  Either way I've heard this same crap after every race since August of 2007........quitcherbichin already!
Bring back North Wilkesboro Speedway!!!!
dawg37179 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawg37179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 4:39pm
Everybody has a right to their opinion...
Proud Jellovillian!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BristolBound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 4:45pm

Was there NCAA Tournament in 2010?  Yes.  The NCAA Tournament had no effect in comparing this year with last year.  However, NASCAR qualified the decline in Bristol rating in 2010 with respects to the Olympics.

Well in 2010, on March 21 you had the NCAA's and the Olympics.  Look we get it.....several folks think the racing stinks.....some of us like it.  For those that don't BUH BYE move on and stop griping about it.  There are two irrefutable FACTS here.  1)The old track surface HAD to be redone (There was rebar showing)  2) NOBODY knows had the track been put back EXACTLY the same what the racing would look like.  With that said you have a choice of three options.  Stop coming to Bristol and go elsewhere, spend your money on a ticket that is "priced to high" to an event that you don't like, or pony up a few hundred million buy the track and change it back.  Either way I've heard this same crap after every race since August of 2007........quitcherbichin already!
The BUH BYE approach was never Jeff Byrd's approach.  The BUH BYE approach is not NASCAR's approach (not sure what their direction is at times).  However, it is quite the opposite.  BMS has a window to improve the experience and they know they need to change things around.  The night race will improve over the Spring, but the 2012 will be Bristol defining season.

I attended the RIR race in May of 2004, the repaving had no effect.  Same track before and after the paving.  Same way with Dega, Atlanta, Martinsville, Charlotte...not buying that.

Are you really saying "quitcherbichin?"  Okay...stop caring about Bristol and go away?  It is happening now...  I believe this will be my last post on this topic...  You win.

Believe me, you will care once Bristol become Atlanta...down to one race...Cry

Edited by BristolBound - 21 Mar 2011 at 4:46pm
RyanLeGrand View Drop Down
CMS Fan Advisory Board
CMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanLeGrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 5:15pm
BristolBound...you are exactly right.  You do not have to defend yourself against an apologist for how your feel.  The fact of the matter is quite simply a lot of people do not like the new Bristol.  If you do, then that is terrific.  You need to start a post about how much you love the action and leave this post well enough alone.  The fact is that this race was the first of the season to have worse attendance and ratings than the year before.  That simply cannot be the economy alone.  We have a huge factor staring us in the face (the "new" surface) and it would be myopic to ignore it.  Bristol sold itself on being an action track.  I get that not all race fans want to see the bumping and sometimes carnage, but that was Bristol.  If it stays like it is, there will not be 75,000 in the stands next year in March. 
I have loved Bristol since I was 11 years old.  I would not get out of my seat and miss a single lap from the first time I went to the race there.  It has lost ALL of it mystique now and that is really hard to swallow.  My dad's 6 tickets were to be a family heirloom, but now there are just something on a ticket worker's computer screen.  I hope we see the day that Bristol is Bristol again, but that is not coming unless they fix the track...
bullfn3 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullfn3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 5:37pm
Interesting, watching NASCAR Now and they happen to be talking about the attendance.  They are basically saying that the drivers love it and the fans hate it.  The fans want the old Bristol back.
RIP Dan Wheldon
lewistondad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewistondad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 6:01pm
From Scene Daily - I think this says a lot about the discussion here - http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Kenny_Bruce_Why_is_Bristol_no_longer_a_must-see_event.html
I think the last piece is appropriate - does BMS want a bunch happy drivers racing in front of a 1/2 empty track? I sure hope not!
Mike
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 6:14pm
Of course the drivers love it . . . that's because they don't have to work too hard to accomplish anything, and the top tier drivers have less risk of it hurting their points position.  They collect the proverbial paycheck regardless.  But it's coming home to roost, and the market will speak eventually.
hemipower426 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hemipower426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 6:31pm
At some point the economics come into play Ticket Prices High then add an upgrade and noboby but the front office knows whats going on so the ticket holder gets the run around from people who are working the gates and could care less if your having a good time, Lodging and camping 200.00 for camping now if you are sharing with 4 or 5 others then 40 or 50 bucks isn't bad for a tight spot in the mud, but if your by yourself or with your family you want your 200.00 worth some people may disagree but they are entitled but then some come to camp and party and don't even attend the race once again its there right, its like the Lady trying to rent that house for 600.00 before the race I tried to tell her those days are gone. Fuel prices they where actually cheaper there than they where 150 miles away. Racing the Nationwide race was BORING no real action going on there Cup race the most exciting thing there was Mark Martin having a senior moment and causing the only real excitment for the whole race heck even Edwards didn't have the stones to try to move Busch up the track. They should have never change the track design. These are just my opinions as we are all entitled to!
kentucky9 View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentucky9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 6:38pm
Tired out of breath, dehydrated, nasty sweaty, pissed off drivers.....are not good for selling product.  What is wrong with you people?  The Producer and Director of "Stroker Ace" saw this sh*t coming years ago.

Bristol.....Allowing Coolers since 1961
Terry T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 7:05pm
....and the dead horse continues to be beat.....
Facebook: Terry Tombaugh
"I have a motto: Work to become, not to acquire." -Alan Kulwicki.
kentucky9 View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentucky9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 7:17pm

Terry, I saw Kyle Busch do things with a racecar on Saturday that was the best I have ever seen.  The only thing close was watching Jeff Gordon at Altanta a few years ago dirt track a car to Victory.

However Terry, the attendance and the vibe for Bristol are gone.  Maybe the hype was never really the norm, but I do miss the vibe!
Bristol.....Allowing Coolers since 1961
frankt_01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankt_01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 10:18am
I know that there are a lot of people who are sick of hearing us talk about changing the track back.  And to be honest, I've been so disheartened by the racing lately that I just can't see ever coming back.  The track still does a lot of things right.  I always thought the staff did an amazing job.  You can still take your coolers in, when most other tracks don't allow it, and the atmosphere is just amazing.  But if you really think about it, it's now been 4 years since we've seen what I consider to be an exciting race at Bristol...  At least from the Cup cars.  For some reason, I still feel the need to voice my opinion on here.  Maybe it's just because I loved the track so much.  Regardless, I remember 4 or 5 years ago hearing the broadcasters talk on TV about building another Bristol.  You would never see that now.  There are many factors, I have no doubt, why people aren't coming like they used to.  And for those who are happy with the new racing, and say it's a real race, not a "demolition derby", that is great.  But you also have to understand that for those of us who loved the style of racing that Bristol used to produce, we miss it.  I've been told I'm not a "real race fan."  But I can see this style of racing anywhere.  Bristol was the one place where I saw the most amazing races ever.  Yeah, there's action all over the entire track, and yeah, you have a great view of the entire racing surface.  But there was a lot more than that.  It's not about lead changes or passing.  It's the entire atmosphere that's changed.  It used to be electric...  Especially on a Saturday night in Auugust.  I almost fell asleep at an August race there recently.  To be honest, I've not been watching any of the races as much as I used to.  Whether it's the chase format, some of the rules changes, the new cars, or whatever, I just don't find it as exciting as I used to.  And I miss that.  While some of the rules changes were made for safety concerns and I completely understand them...  I don't like the impact of some of them.  For example, I miss racing back to the caution, and hate the "lucky dog" rule.  I understand the reasoning behind it though.  I haven't liked the direction the sport has been going for years.  I started watching in the early to mid 90's.  And I miss that sport more than I could possibly say.
JW_2007 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW_2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 10:30am
Some thoughts on some of these posts.

I think the most accurate attendance estimate was the 120K.

What's wrong with beating a dead horse? If we had shut up three years ago, Bruton might actually think the low attendance is only because of the economy, and just scratch his head over why the other tracks are selling out!!

I don't think people who like the new surface should leave this post alone, I think they should state their opinion.

I agree with the reasons the drivers like the track. And in addition, they won't bash the track because it's easy and they won't bite the hand that feeds them. The only way they would bash it would be if it were unsafe.

I think if the track were reconfigured to the old dimensions that the racing could be predicted, not predicted EXACTLY, but pretty close. You don't invest millions of dollars in a product to HOPE it turns out the way you engineered it.

My group of friends coming to Bristol has dwindled like BristolBound's for the same reasons.

Other thoughts.
I think the Fox Hollywood Hotel moved to where the front cars in the pits would be in the background so they wouldn't have to show all the empty seats in the background (unless it's the first time they have been at the track??)

When was the last time a Bristol Cup race finished in under three hours?

I saw a newbie dressed in Dockers and collared shirt with his lady in a long dress sitting about 10 rows up from the track, no head phones, no earplugs (at first). Looked like a corporate VP and his date going to a dinner party. What was that all about???

FrankT, I agree it used to be electric. Some fans tried to start the wave on sunday and I thought it was a joke. How can you do the wave when there is only 75% of the stands full?? Remember the good old days when we did it and did it well?

I was at a restaurant two hours from the track after the race and a stranger saw my NASCAR hat/T-shirts and asked me if I went. I told him I had and he started telling me that he used to go for years, but after the reconfiguration, he won't go anymore and won't even watch it on TV. A total stranger within driving distance to the track explained to ME why Bristol isn't what it used to be. I just kept quiet and let him talk.

I can counter every reason to date for the low attendance, except for the boring racing due to the reconfiguration.

I don't think NASCAR and Bristol like people on this message board telling others if they don't like it, don't come to the race. Be careful what you wish for...it may result in BMS staff being layed off.
JW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BristolBound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:25pm
Well, this post did not age well...  Today's attendance was awful.  Plus, Bristol has a better date by two weeks.  There is still no talk to change back the track.  The vocal minority has won.

I have attend a couple races at Bristol since 2011 when Jeff Gordon retired in 2015.

I still enjoy NASCAR and go to 6-8 races a year since my post in 2011.  I haven't missed a race at Martinsville since Fall of 2009.  It is the closest thing to the old Bristol.

MagnumRTGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagnumRTGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:44pm
I haven't been on this forum in a long time. Nothing's changed in 8 years since I went to the spring race. I notice a lot of the regulars haven't gone since 2011. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic