FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#8 Car Being Parked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
beiter77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beiter77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #8 Car Being Parked
    Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 6:09pm
Being a fan of Dale Earnhardt it hurts me to see how far the company that he started has fallen. Just another sign of the economic times.

tadpole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 7:11pm
ANOTHER VICTIM OF THE ECONOMY!Angry 
Showed up for the party and stayed for the race!I hate BUSCH so bad I made my wife shave hers!
digitalprintman View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalprintman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 10:33pm
I wonder if Teresa is thinking that she should have given Dale Jr. whatever he wanted to keep him with DEI, now. I hope this is not the beginning of the end for DEI and their partnership with Gannasi.

It's tough times economically for everyone and some may not weather the storm out. I hope DEI can salvage something and keep things going until the economy turns around.

Unfortunately since Dale's passing the company has just pretty much treaded water and not put the major money back into their operation. Hence they have been left in the dust. This would not have happened if Dale (Sr.) were still among us.

It looks like DEI put their efforts into Marketing by getting the former Sony exec. But then they lost their Name driver and the sponsorship that Jr. brought with him. Mark Martin did alright for them to keep some sponsorship. But the young drivers were not given enough time to build any kind of following or experience. Truex does alright and so far his sponsorship looks good but that could change at any time. Besides I think his contract is coming up soon. I would not be surprised to see him leave and then the DEI end of the deal will pretty well be history.

I hope it doesn't happen, but we will just have to wait and see.

Look what nearly happened to the King (Petty). Gillette could have easily booted Richard out the door once the deal was done or just have him be a figurehead. Thankfully he decided to keep the Petty legacy going in some form. 
kentucky9 View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentucky9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 12:45am
I feel bad for the Amirola kid and all the employees.  Teresa has plenty of loot I am sure.
Bristol.....Allowing Coolers since 1961
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 8:01am
I wonder when the first race will be where Nascar will not be able to field 43 cars. We ought to start a pool on that bet.
cleancutredneck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cleancutredneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 8:05am
Originally posted by rusty rusty wrote:

I wonder when the first race will be where Nascar will not be able to field 43 cars. We ought to start a pool on that bet.

i've been wondering this exact same thing....and would not be surprised if it happened this year during the chase

Dear Lord. While I realize you have a GREAT sense of humor, I was hoping that this year you could find someone else to use as the punch line. Amen.
digitalprintman View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalprintman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 8:33am
It's going to get much like the real rich and the real poor. But with the Cup teams it will be the HAVE Sponsors and the HAVE NOTS with NO Sponsors. We can already see that it is the richer teams that will be the ones standing. But even those left are doing alot of belt tightening.

For the low payout races and not as big of TV audience I think you'll see the smaller teams start to pass on doing those races. Those teams will start concentrating on the bigger payout races (Daytona, Talladega, Bristol) and higher visibility on TV. Then if they can place halfway decently they will pickup a couple more sponsors and do some more races.

Look a Todd Bodine in the Truck series, has wins and high in the points total but can't find a sponsor. Not sure if he is still without one right now or not.

So Yes, I agree we will probably see at least one race this year where they do not have a FULL 43 car field. I would not be surprised if when it happens that Nascar throws a little money at a few of the smaller teams (it may be under the table) to show up and race.
jpcraig View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 9:02am
just a few yrs ago, full fields were a problem, & NASCAR starting cutting checks to those guys filling out the field, I remember BRETT BODINE at DARL (2002 or '03) was one
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 10:54am
Originally posted by digitalprintman digitalprintman wrote:

It's going to get much like the real rich and the real poor. But with the Cup teams it will be the HAVE Sponsors and the HAVE NOTS with NO Sponsors. We can already see that it is the richer teams that will be the ones standing. But even those left are doing alot of belt tightening.

Yes, even the rich teams have big sponsorship troubles.  Like him or not, Junior is the biggest marketing name in the sport, and he can't even get a sponsor for the entire year (and one of his partial sponsors is the government, so it is not even a typical commerical sponsor).  Jeff Gordon can't even get Dupont for the entire year now.  It's getting pretty bad, and that's an understatement.

As to Nascar throwing money at worthless teams just to get 43 cars on the track, I agree that will probably happen.  They will do anything they can to save themselves from the embarassment of not having a 43 car field. But at some point, the economics of that might even stop Nascar from doing that (although throwing a few thousand dollars at a scrub driver will likely always be immaterial to Nascar).  But it is also embarassing to Nascar to have cars with big blank hoods running around the track too.
CitizenKahne View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenKahne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:49am
I also believe that the TV money is tied to 43-car fields.
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by CitizenKahne CitizenKahne wrote:

That interesting. I did not know that. If that's the case, then they will certainly do anything they can to make sure the field is full. They'd even pay one of us to drive to fill out the field if they had to . . .
jpcraig View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 2:24pm
beiter77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beiter77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 2:48pm
Marty Smith hits the nail right on the head. Junior will always be associated with the #8. Like Marty said certain numbers just will always be mentioned in the same breath with certain drivers. To me the top 5 all time are Petty-43, Earnhardt-3, Wood Brothers-21, Gordon-24, and Dale Jr-8. Can anyone really imagine the other four with any other number? Too bad Teresa was just looking out for herself. She should have given him the number and let him carry on the Earnhardt name with #8.
cwgamer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by rusty rusty wrote:

Originally posted by CitizenKahne CitizenKahne wrote:

That interesting. I did not know that. If that's the case, then they will certainly do anything they can to make sure the field is full. They'd even pay one of us to drive to fill out the field if they had to . . .

I don't believe there is any contactural agreements that stipulates a minimum number of cars. I remember listening to Jim Hunter last year on Claire B.'s show talking about car count and the Top 35, saying there was no 'minimum' number of participants...only that there can be no more than 43.

Now he wasn't talking specifically about TV contracts as far as I know, but I'd find it hard to imagine NASCAR's lawyers agreeing to anything that didn't allow the wiggle room that it's own rulebook does.
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by cwgamer cwgamer wrote:

I'd find it hard to imagine NASCAR's lawyers agreeing to anything that didn't allow the wiggle room that it's own rulebook does.

True, true, true  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
steelerknights View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelerknights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 5:56pm

oh  the 44 is good through richmondEmbarrassed

Edited by steelerknights - 08 Apr 2009 at 6:54pm
rubbins' racin'
davey130 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey130 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 6:57pm
WinkThumbs%20Up
Proud Family Member of JELLOVILLE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic