FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New CA Noise Ordinance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mhenesian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhenesian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New CA Noise Ordinance
    Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 2:57pm
Hi All,

With the change in the CA Vehicle Noise Ordinances starting this year, and the reported "Crack Downs" and large fines (no longer fix-it tickets, but large fines), do we expect to be targeted as we drive into the Sonoma Race Facility. What's to stop them from posting CHP right outside the gate and along HW 37 ???

I'm concerned that all of our street driven vehicles (and many tow vehicles) will be at or above the noise limits (95 DB at 2500+ RPM as measured 20" from tail pipes or exits)

Mark Henesian ('69 Roadrunners)
mhenesian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhenesian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 3:10pm
OK, I downloaded the Sound Meter App for a Samsung Galaxy phone (it works great !) and measured my Roadrunner with the 440 and 727B auto.

Cam is the big Voodoo hydraulic (287/297 deg adverstised, 242/252 deg @0.050", .533" intake, .552" exhaust). Thorley headers (1-3/4" pipes, 3" collector), 2-1/2 pipes into Dynomax mufflers (2-1/2" inlet and outlet, 20" long can), with short down pipes ahead of the rear axle.

The verdict: 87 db from idle up to 2500 RPM at 45 degrees at rear of vehicle, around 1 ft from bumper, and dropping to 85 dB off to the side and front of vehicle. Inside, more like 83 db.

I didn't try full throttle - I'm guessing that would be close to 95 dB.

Every 3 dB is a factor of 2X louder sound pressure.

Should be OK unless Police want to be a pain !

Mark Henesian
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:21pm
Last year the dude was sitting in the driveway with an eye on the light.
"What's behind me, is not important!" Gumball Rally
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic