FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kyle Busch could save Nascar IF . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kyle Busch could save Nascar IF . . .
    Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:15am
Kyle Busch could save Nascar if he had the look, charisma, personality, or whatever it is that the Earnhardt fans want.  Like him or not, the guy can drive. 

Other than his arrogance, he's pretty much the reincarnation of #3 and he drives pretty much the way #3 drove.  If Nascar could put him in a different package, then the sport would at least hold steady and not keep losing popularity.  But of course, he is what he is, and you can't change that.

But on the positive side, he does play the "villain role" very well, and Nascar needs that too.

I'm not a KB fan, but if Junior had his talent, you wouldn't see as many empty seats at all the tracks.
BristolBud8Fan View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BristolBud8Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 12:23pm

I would never ever root for anyone in a toyota. not eveN the great DALE  SR. if he drove a Censoredriceburner.Angry.........

I would not mind if he went back to an american car,ide root for him.....JP

Edited by BristolBud8Fan - 23 Aug 2010 at 1:30pm
Buy AMERICAN
Sea-Donkey View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 12:33pm

I compare his talent more to Gordon's early career...but Gordon is the biggest reason Cup racing went mainstream and Nascar hit it's peak.  Kyle is doing the opposite (decreasing the sports popularity).  I think back then you had the perfect combination of a new talent with US wide appeal racing the "good ole boy" (SR) from Nascar's roots in the South. 

Maybe the sport will come back, but it's hasn't hit bottom yet...and snooze fests like the one Saturday night at Cup's most popular race won't help.
"Didn't mean to really turn him around, meant to rattle his cage though". I was one of the thousands that stayed to boo him, not the same without him though.
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 1:36pm
SD,

I've been think the same thing about Gordon. I wonder if he really didn't do more harm to the sport than good. He was a great talent. No doubt about that, and his success on the track was deserved. And people can't help the way they look, but I wonder if his clean cut image gave Nascar the bright idea that that was what the sport needed.

Now, ever since then, Nascar (owners, sponors, and the sanctioning body) is continually putting Jeff Gordon "wanna-be's" on the track. I don't think the decision makers realize that what made Gordon popular was his driving ability and not the way he looked or carried himself. #3 would not have been popular if he didn't win races.

Kyle Busch is a great talent too, but like you say, he ultimately may not be helping the sport.

I believe that Nascar ("the show") thrives off of rivalries, and although KB easily makes an acceptable "bad guy" for the show, it's hard to get excited about any of the so-called good guys.  DE vs. JG was really the last great rivalry because DE fans hated JG because he threatened DE's record, and JG fans loved the idea of their guy taking the spotlight away from DE.

So one problem is that there is no good guy to get really excited about. Jimmy Johnson or Edwards, or Brad K. or J. Logano being on one side or the other of a rivaly just doesn't do anything for me. They are all horribly boring personalities. 

For the most part, Nascar has become cookie cutter drivers >> in cookie cutter cars >> racing on cookie cutter tracks. That's the problem IMHO.
racenut View Drop Down
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by rusty rusty wrote:

Other than his arrogance, he's pretty much the reincarnation of #3 and he drives pretty much the way #3 drove.  

I'm not a KB fan, but if Junior had his talent, you wouldn't see as many empty seats at all the tracks.
I don't think he is as much Earnhardt as he is Darrell Waltrip. They called Darrell "Jaws" for a reason, he talked a lot, was brash, was arrogant, and won a lot. Most if not all the drivers wanted to beat him, on the track and off, but no one could dismiss him winning, in fact that made them madder (a loud mouth guy that runs 25th every week is ignored).
That last line is very true. I know a few Jr fans that "are waiting for him to rebound" before spending good money on tickets.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic