FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wow...Talk about 'Spin'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cwgamer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wow...Talk about 'Spin'
    Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 7:54am
Awesome turnout??

Auto Club Speedway, like many tracks nationwide, had cut prices on some seats in response to the economic pressure. "The turnout was awesome, I'm so thrilled with the crowd," said track President Gillian Zucker. "It clearly shows how passionate Southern California is about NASCAR. That even in this kind of an economy that the crowd is that big says an awful lot."

Puhleeze. While the stands did actually look about 80% full on Sunday, that 'crowd' on Saturday was a joke. You could have seen a Truck AND Nationwide race doubelheader for one price, and there looked to be maybe 20,000 people there. Pathetic.
jpcraig View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:04am
I was so jealous of those folks out there on SAT, a TRUCK & N'Wide race in ONE DAY, & ya had plenty-o-room to stretch out, I hadda a CAROLINA Basketball & Baseball game to go to that day, but stayed up late after those watching those 2 races on my DVR
beiter77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beiter77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:26am

The stands could've been only half full and Nascar and California would've made it sound great. They just can't get it through their heads that people in Southern California don't care about Nascar as much as they think they do.

jpcraig View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:31am
18 Million people in a 5 County radius & they still can't get a meeslie lil' 92K in there!?!?!?
beiter77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beiter77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:41am
That is why they need to bring back The Rock, Wilkesboro, and Labor Day Darlington. Get Nascar back where people appreciate it.
cwgamer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by beiter77 beiter77 wrote:

That is why they need to bring back The Rock, Wilkesboro, and Labor Day Darlington. Get Nascar back where people appreciate it.

Agreed. At least get a truck or NW race there...at all those places. Then you'll see 'passionate' fans.

The quote that really irks me:

"It clearly shows how passionate Southern California is about NASCAR."

Yeah....it clearly does lady, not much passion at all for it there best I can tell. Other than Angie Harmon, who obviously really liked that starter stand.

At least Labor day weekend is back in the Southeast where it belongs.

Edited by cwgamer - 24 Feb 2009 at 11:56am
Gamezgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamezgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:58am
Bwahahahaha....LMAO @ Angie Harmon....ok THAT was the most entertaining part of the race, watching her act like a dummy on the stand!
Some people are like slinkies..... They are not really good for anything but they're fun to watch when they tumble down the stairs.
JW_2007 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW_2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 12:50pm
Everything on this post so far is 100% right on!!!
JW
jpcraig View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 1:08pm
I kept screaming at the TV..."Get those 2 bozo's off the flag stand!!!"

2 bozo's=Angie Harmon & Jason Sehorn

Isn't it a safety issue having "civilians" up there too long? Especially w/ her flailing her arms all about, that's a distraction to the drivers!
mbckic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbckic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 2:41pm
The races at California are boring and the stands are always much less than full,however they are apparently making alot of money on TV rights and as long as Brian France is in charge money is #1 not the fans.
mbckic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbckic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 2:44pm
At least Angie was  excited half the celebrities act as if they could care less about being at the race.
digitalprintman View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalprintman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 2:59pm
Why the heck couldn't they have started the race at Noon Pacific time. At least it would have made it a better start time for people in the midwest and east coast. Of course we have to start the Daytona 500 later to accomadate the west coast fans, right.

Also, whose bright idea was it to have the late start on the same night that the Oscars are on? I'm sure this affected the Nascar ratings. Even if they would not have had the rain delays the race still would not have been over by the time the Academy Awards came on. Most race fans are not going to turn over to the Oscars but I'm sure their wives or girlfriends might. Not that there aren't alot of women racing fans.

I thought last year that it was discussed that races would start at Noon whatever time zone the event was being held in unless it was a night race.

Just my 2 cents worth
jpcraig View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 3:06pm
I think they said last yr, that all SUN races in the EST-zone would start by 2:00 local, except of course the DAYTONA 500
steelerknights View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelerknights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 4:53pm
we watched her and were laughing our butts off.here's an idea,let's have regular fans do the honarary starting not celebrities.we are the ones buying the tickets not them.Angry
rubbins' racin'
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by digitalprintman digitalprintman wrote:

Also, whose bright idea was it to have the late start on the same night that the Oscars are on? I'm sure this affected the Nascar ratings. 

If that affected Nascar's ratings, then Nascar is in bigger trouble than I thought.
kentucky9 View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentucky9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 7:01pm
When they ever gonna realize in California that ya just can't POLISH A TURD!
Bristol.....Allowing Coolers since 1961
racechaser101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racechaser101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 7:06pm
I thought the Oscar updates during the race were funny as hell.  I am pretty sure 99% of Nascar Nation as never seen Slumdog Millionare much less heard of it. 
GO #2
Terry T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by mbckic mbckic wrote:

half the celebrities act as if they could care less about being at the race.

Actually, it is the one time they are not acting......
digitalprintman View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalprintman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 8:12pm
Hey, we did see Slumdog Millionaire, it is a very good movie. Highly recommended.

We also were flipping over to Drag Racing finals from Phoenix during the end of the Cup race.

Do go and see Gran Torino. No awards but Clint is in rare form.

I loved how towards the end of the Nationwide race that the announcers made a comment about how sparce the crowd was. Then they had to put in that California had been hit very hard by the economic woes and that it was a very good showing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic