FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pontiacguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pontiacguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing lights
    Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 10:07pm
I love the Friday Night Drags, but enough already with this hand start. This isn't some backstreet. These cars need to be started and timed accurately. What motivates a racer to keep coming to this "track"? There's no money in it.  At least let a racer get a timeslip so they can tune their car!  If week after week the same guys win their class the others will eventually get frustrated and stop coming. Maybe some kind of brackets?  The crowd is there (currently), and the racers are there (could be more!). Obviously so is the money. Do the right thing and at least time these races correctly!!!
chevytogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 9:31am
I have to disagree.. Part of what makes these races so fun, is the nostalgia and the similarity of street racing.. I would suggest that you maybe go to Silver Dollar or Lagrange if you are looking for test and tune--
Depaja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Depaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2008 at 6:44pm
The thing that is attracting me to the 'Friday Night Drags' is that it is not bracket racing. I like that there is no tree and times. Just as if you were on some backstreet, only a ton safer.

The no money deal does not bother me, let the people that want to compete for cash head to Atlanta Dragway or Silverdollar. I like that this is being run for fun! I can't think of a better hobby! Smile

Edited by Depaja - 21 Sep 2008 at 6:45pm
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 6:58pm
So, you like a race that is meaningless, all the risk and no pay out, or record. Confused Must be a lot of quarreling. 
Depaja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Depaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 8:31pm
Meaningless? No, less risk than a street race and as chevytogo said nostalgia factor, oh and fun, I don't have to have a plastic trophy or a payout to have fun. If you want payout go to silver dollar / Atlanta Dragway. If you make the friday night drags with a payout the next thing you will have is 'robot racers' with their auto trans and breakout boxes and track only cars. This seems to be set up for fun if no payout is not fun, then head to the other places.
pontiacguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pontiacguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 9:36pm
Allow me to elaborate. I like the the races. I attend most every Friday. I'd like to see more people participate. I don't care about the cash or the trophy. I have about three vehicles that I could take to race. Why don't I? Because of odd classifications for cars and trucks, and most of the winners are firmly seated (same winners every week). I've noticed that most people don't win (Ha Ha). AMS is going to need to keep new blood coming through to keep this going for the long haul. People who race want to know what time their ride turns. I live near the track and would like to drive there, race, and drive home. Timing cars gives people a chance to improve their times and return again and again. This is what will increase participation, and keep this street racing alive at AMS!
montepower View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 10:06am
AT Bristol, they have what's called "street fights" it's a full 1/4 mile drag race with limited rules. One thing I like about it is that you have the tree and you recieve a time slip at the end. It helps in knowing what your car does. There are racers anywhere from your 19 sec geo storm to your 8 sec blasters. Cost is only 10$ to race and 5 to watch. There's no money to win, no trophy to get, so it's all about braggin rights. They usually have events during it ie... car show, sound wars,hot pepper challenges and so on. It's great for all ages.
Always seeking to go faster !!!!
chevytogo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 3:18pm
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... But a time slip at this track will do you NO good... The next week, you will have totally different track conditions and prep.. And it sure wont relate to a true strip time-- C'mon people-- Quit trying to mess up a good thing.. Have fun.. enjoy it... WHY NOT??
joey hanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey hanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 9:41am

Why pay for a timing system when all these rednecks keep coming back week end and week out? I mean, its $30g'a a friday free and clear.....

sanaeerumey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanaeerumey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 32 minutes ago at 9:28am
Originally posted by Depaja Depaja wrote:

The thing that is attracting me to the 'Friday Night Drags' is that it is not bracket racing. I like that there is no tree and times. Just as if you were on some backstreet, only a ton safer.

The no money deal does not bother me, let the people that want to compete for PhenQ cash head to Atlanta Dragway or Silverdollar. I like that this is being run for fun! I can't think of a better hobby! Smile

It can judge that lights easily with or without it (Y)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic