FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How could we attract more fans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Doc116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How could we attract more fans?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 2:33pm

More fans equals more income which equals sustainabilty for the LRRS scene

Discuss.
MOJO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOJO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 8:01pm
Advertise,get the word out,I have been a bike fan all my life,mostly dirt,live in RI,but have a small camp in NH,but had never heard of LRRS until a few years ago.I try to stop at the track when I am up there & you guys are running.just my 2 cents. 
a13x-434 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a13x-434 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 11:41pm
FWIW: I was at Infineon Raceway today for the AFM club races (Sear's Point) and I was amazed at the amount of fans that were out there! Granted Sear's Point is 30 minutes north of the most motorcycle friendly city in the USA (San Francisco) but still... it was impressive.

$10 bucks at the gate to get in (I can accept that), stunt riders performing during lunch, great weather and tons of spectators (for a club race) walking around and checking things out.

With Boston only 1.5 hours from Loudon, I'm sure we could attract more riders. I've thought for a while that even simple handbills that we, when streetriding, kept in our pockets and handed out at the HANGOUT SPOT (Lansdowne Street, MotoMarket, Starbucks, where-ever) would probably even help spread the word to our fellow riders. Or leaving the handbill on someones bike.
-alex
LRRS Expert 434 - //alpinestars //leo vince //penguin racing //street&comp //hordpower
MattyG587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyG587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 10:22pm
+1 for a reasonable entry fee for spectators.
MattyG #94 Expert
LRRS, CCS, SMUSA
Team Speedbike.com (http://www.Speedbike.com)
CTarna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTarna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 1:01pm
You need $ to make $.

Why not have those other types of activities (stunt, dirt, etc.) at the LRRS event? Spend a little money to moderate them and set up an area for them.
Charlie Tarna
LRRS #108 EX

jvan989 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvan989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 1:45pm
I work for an advertising agency as an art director. I'd love to do some ads for lrrs. Would lrrs be willing to buy any media i would do the work and production for nothing.

Edited by jvan989 - 30 Apr 2008 at 1:46pm
Harley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 2:32pm
Well I have a few Ideas for you as I have been to NHIS several times for bike week.

1. the idea to have the race on the first weekend of bike week is a much better idea.

2. Involve the race clubs with the activities at the track for example .
HOG members/ HONDA clubs show your card for a discount on admission.

3. Similar to Nascar events have a hospitality area set up for the above mentioned clubs.

4. How about a food program similar to disneyworld where for one price *reduced  you can get a normal amount of food. Would be encouraging to be able to get a free refill of non alcoholic beverage.

5. Additional events to fill large amounts of time where there is nothing happening.

anthony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 9:46pm
i like some of harley's ideas, with the hospitality tent, special group rates, etc...

and advertising outside of the racing community is very important as well.  racers like watching racing, but we need to get outsiders to like watching our type of racing as well.

maybe have pit walks for first-timers and racer introductions?
CCS/LRRS Novice #113
Dana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 9:22am
Hi I was up their last year with my kids and spent most of the day with 5 year old  boys who loved it . I think you need to advertise it on local stations radio and TV Maby due something their to draw the fans like the xgames do but on a smaller scale.
Palanon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palanon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:38am
Advertising really is the key. 10 out of 10 nonparticipant's I ask, have no idea that there is motorcycle racing at NHMS. Most have no idea that there is even a road racing course.

Besides the normal print and radio ads, maybe get a few radio stations to do some on site broadcast days like they do for local businesses and such. Complete with the typical prizes and giveaways. Vendor displays, guided tours, meet and greets with race bike displays ?

How about a few gate raffles for some 2 up rides with Penguin. Get 'em suited up and out there for a couple of laps, they'll be hooked for life. The post ride interviews would be priceless.
"In the name of the Speedo, the Tach and the Holy Throttle, Amen."
Tempesta13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tempesta13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 12:52pm
I agree that most people don't know there is even motorcycle racing there at all so advertising would be important. One thing that I think would help get people who came to watch to come back again is putting FM radios on the track freq at turn 3 and the bowl since I'm pretty sure the loudspeakers can't be heard there. Most people watch from those two places and listening to the play by play of what's going on would probably make the races much more understandable and enjoyable to watch.
Duncanmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncanmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 12:30pm

Charge a more reasonable spectator fee.

I had friends come to wath me race in 2 races. It cost them $25 each to get in. They would come more often if were only $10.

Doc116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 4:40pm
I am all for handing out flyers.  Anyone good at doing one up and willing to share the file?  I wouldn't mind getting some printed at Staples and handing them out.

More spectators might mean more sponsors which again brings sustainability to the LRRS scene.
LRRS EX #116
Michael "Doc" Lemire
slidin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slidin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 7:40pm
I agree. Many many people have no idea about motorcycle racing at Loudon. I have spoken to a few people at the local tech school that offers diplomas in motorcycle repair and none of the students know anything about the fact that there is racing at Loudon.
Of course getting the word out is key. No one has been seriously interested in getting the word out.
In LRRS's perspective why should they? There is no money in it for them. Why would the racers? Most come and go every few years. The previous owners of NHIS. Motorcycling only covers basic overhead until Cars come to race.
Maybe the new owners will see that there is good potential for spectators. I was reading in Road racing world that the clubs in Florida are getting 5000 to 10000 spectators per club event. Just takes some "serious" effort by a marketing firm.

A=A
a13x-434 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a13x-434 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Duncanmoto Duncanmoto wrote:

Charge a more reasonable spectator fee.

I had friends come to wath me race in 2 races. It cost them $25 each to get in. They would come more often if were only $10.

+1

I have many friends that want to come hang at the track and see some races but can't justify spending $25 to come in for 3-4 hours. I know Grandstand-only passes are cheaper, but we are talking Club Racing here.... the whole point is guys can come into the Infield, check out the bikes, see the racers up close, and have some cheap motorsports fun.

Also of note, Infineon Raceway (owned by this same group) have AFM club races this weekend, which I mentioned before gets tons of spectators. $10 a head including paddock pass and free parking. 

Edited by a13x-434 - 24 May 2008 at 7:55pm
-alex
LRRS Expert 434 - //alpinestars //leo vince //penguin racing //street&comp //hordpower
roadracer71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadracer71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 11:00am

I've been racing at Loudon for 6 years and I have friends and family come out. I feel bad telling them they have to pay $25 if they show up with me on Friday. Heck I don't like paying $25 to get in. It gets expensive. So lower prices would help. Letting people into the infield is also a must.

I've also noticed that even the locals don't know that there is motorcycle racing there. That includes the local gas stations and groceiry stores. Putting up flyers at a minimum in town would help.

I like the idea of having people come check out the bikes & having a "meet the riders" event. I'd be more than willing to volunteer for that. Although, we might want to have security roaming around to help prevent things from walking off.
Expert #71

nt650hawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nt650hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 11:17am

When I tell people that I race motorcycles the only thing that they know of is Motocross.   Sorry not that king of racing.  Then I tell them that I race at Louden NHMS and all they think of is that I just go around in circles.  They know the track because they attend NASCAR they just can't picture the road course.

How about radio advertising?  A station that I listen to often talks about charity events and local gathering of motorcycle events.  I even know some of them are pretty big into Motorcycles and car racing events.  Maybe they could be turned towards local motorcycle racing events.

Gino
LRRS HAWK racer CCS Expert # 929
http://www.tonystrackdays.com
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICABILITY OF STUPIDITY”
zubinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 5:51pm

I invite people every time I race. They usually come once but then say it is too much money. If it were cheaper I do believe you would have more repeat customers and that means more concessions sold. For the type and lever of entertainment it is some what higher than what the market can support.

Casey Blust #689
Doc116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 12:41pm
So if we can't reduce the fees what can we do?

I am all for talking to the rider reps to talk management to see if we might arrange a spectator thing at lunch.  (who are the rider reps)

What do you have to do to be a vendor at the track?  That might attract more people if there was food and memorabilia to purchase.

The radio calls are on FM now so that is a plus!

Even a guest singer for the national anthem might be cool (No offense to BJ)

I'll get in touch with the Rider Reps and see what we can do for the rest of this year.

Great discussion people!  Keep it coming!
LRRS EX #116
Michael "Doc" Lemire
Doc116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 1:01pm
LRRS EX #116
Michael "Doc" Lemire
Johnny B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 11:53pm
"I am all for talking to the rider reps to talk management to see if we might arrange a spectator thing at lunch.  (who are the rider reps?)"

B.J. Worsham, Micky Curry and Mike Martire.

Edited by Johnny B - 30 Mar 2010 at 10:32pm
Johnny B. (the other one)® - Butler's Rest Home

"We discriminate against stupid and we have no intention of stopping!" - Sean Clarke

Doc116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 12:18pm
Well!  Some posters were made for the season.  Advertising for the Classic is on TV and Radio stations! 

Looks like a great step in the right direction!

Now let's work on the fans that are attracted during the classic to come back for the rest of the season.
LRRS EX #116
Michael "Doc" Lemire
4runner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 8:38am
Get the AMA back racing here,which brings more $ for advertising,which brings more people from across the country, and will bring ALL ,not just some of the best racers .Also I think you would see many more people if it was held the traditional fathers day weekend
Carella53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carella53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:08am

Hm... spending $ on advertising, so people know about it, then don't want to come for $25 to catch a couple hours of racing on sat (I dont blame them).  PS you can buy MotoGP weekend passes (3-day) for $80.

Get creative, call radio stations, trade some tickets/weekend passes for radio spots.  maybe load up heavily around the classic/trade free camping vouchers for trade for radio spots... Free radio isn't that hard to deal with.

(BTW, im 110% willing to help with any of my suggestions)
Chris 'Kitt' Carella
www.MotoAddiction.com
Hindle/CrushLeathers/Woodcraft/ArmorBodies/Dunlop/Galfer/Motorex/ZeroGravity
Doc116 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 12:16pm
Great post Carella!  :D
LRRS EX #116
Michael "Doc" Lemire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic