FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie coming to Folds of Honor weekend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rads63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rads63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie coming to Folds of Honor weekend
    Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 7:10am
Hi Team,
I am coming over to the US of A for a friends birthday in New Orleans, so I am going to take a detour and take in a NASCAR event, see if its as good as our V8 Supercar races.

So after trawling the inter webs I really can't find that much info about it, so I thought this might have some helpful people with the right info to help me out.

I can only make it to Friday and Saturday practice and races, I have to be in a pub in New Orleans Sunday Afternoon.

So to start with as an Aussie going to his first NASCAR race all I have ever seen is from the movies, and of course I would love to spend Fri and Sat night in the infield camping/RV area. 
I have looked online and can only find entire RV's for rent, and that just not an option, unless you guys know a way?

So I will have to grab a motel/hotel/airbnb close by, or I will work something out.

So my question is how the hell would you get to the track and back if you are a brand new visitor, and I mean just flown in to America for the first time, the night before? I don't want to rent a car because well I like to drink a few beers while watching cars tear ass around - remember I am from Australia.
Uber?
Taxi?
Stand on the side of the highway with a sign saying "Atlanta Motor Speedway - Not a serial killer!"
Or if someone wants an extra passenger then let me know!
Then how the hell to get back? I have googled for shuttle buses but none that I can find!

Tickets?
If I buy a ticket for the Sunday Race in the grandstands or one of the boxes, does that let me in on Friday and Saturday??
I have looked at the resale and offical ticket places and can find what look like good tickets, but they are mostly for the Sunday race.
Does a grandstand ticket also let you go to other areas of the track, like the infield or the standing areas? Can you walk around the track and check out the different corners?

For a race that gets what? 80 000 people, there is very few people or companies offering accommodation and travel to the track packages, there are a few for the Sunday race but bu**er all for the rest of the weekend.

Tailgate parties? You see them on the movies, is it really a thing, do people hang out in the car park and have a bit of party before? What about on the Saturday?
I would love to meet some Americans, have met a few when I was in the Military and always found them to be great generous people, plus good for a laugh. As an Aussie I am very open and laid back and friendly, but I don't know how welcome people would be to a stranger just stopping and saying Hi?

And on that can you wander around the car park with a six pack??

If any race fan can help me out, or has any hints or tips I am all ears!!

Or if you have the total package of accom, lift and party then hell yes!!

Justin Radford

doggoneracin View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggoneracin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:48pm
Well I can help you with some of this. You can buy tickets just for Saturday's events. General admission for $40 or reserve seats for $50. All seats are good at Atlanta and you will be able to see all around the track. You will be able to walk around the grandstand area but I don't think you can go down into the infield unless you have weekend ticket. There will be a full day of racing with Cup cars practicing, Xfinity series followed by the truck series. Atlanta alway's has a great atmosphere outside the track. People grilling and having a few drinks and having fun. Hotels around Atlanta may be a little pricey. I would think Uber going to the track would work but after the race may be tough. I would suggest getting to the track early Saturday morning and enjoy the whole day. Call the track at 1-877-926-7849 and they can give you more info.        
I just want to see a good race.
Rads63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rads63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:51pm
Thanks!!
Defiantly going to take in Friday night and the whole day Saturday.
Working on a way of getting a van so I can camp there for Fri and Sat night. 
Looking forward to it even without the main race.
I gave the ticket office a call and sorted out a few options. Now its just down to accommodation and keeping an eye out for an awesome ticket deal if one pops up.
I actually was expecting a bus company to run a shuttle from Atlanta, I don't know why I thought this just the size of the event and the fact its a distance out of the city.
Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic