FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st Time Camping at NHMS - S4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Winginit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winginit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Time Camping at NHMS - S4
    Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 10:18pm
The July 2016 race will be my first time camping at Loudon.  I have 2 end-to-end sites in S4 in order to fit a 44' fifth wheel comfortably and have room to park.  I've read some sections are quite hilly so hoping someone can comment on how level that section is.  Also, I'm 5 sites in off the road so I know getting in could be nearly impossible if I don't get in ahead of the neighbors.  I'm planning to go up on Sat 9th as early as I need to make that happen.  Now that it is reserved sites, is the prior Saturday still as busy as it used to be?  Any info is greatly appreciated!
madfinnhockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madfinnhockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 3:43pm
Years back I camped in S4 a few times, my site was closer to the track  (vs the main road), and where I was I did need a good number of blocks on one side to level my camper out. Up higher I believe it was more level.

As for arriving and being able to get in your site, I'm in S9 now, and this is what I saw last year: I arrived on Saturday the weekend before, and it wasn't nearly as crowded or busy as it had been in years past when sites were not reserved. But what did happen was, many campers started showing up later in the week, and some with big rigs had a very difficult time getting in their sites cause others had setup on either side of their site. Some campers couldn't get in and were directed elsewhere.
NHMS
Charlotte
Atlanat
Pocono
Kansas
Winginit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winginit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 4:26pm
OK thank you!  I could tell by looking at Google Earth there was no way I'd get in once others around me arrived so I knew I had to get in early.  I'll probably set up as much as I can in the middle of the two end-to-end sites so that any neighbors that might have a big rig might still be able to get in.  The sites are pretty much mid-way up the Meridan Rd, on the south side.  I'll bring plenty of extra blocking in case there is too much slope...just hope I don't need a ladder to reach the first step afterwards
edwards99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwards99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 5:52am
What row are you in? I have 10 sites in row S 10 all the way at the south end and I use hardly any blocking. Rows S 7,8, and 9 can need some heavy blocking at the south end of the row. Most any area in S 4 is an easy setup. Keep in mind that if you have 2 sites back to back, you can park either direction if your steps are too high on low side. You should be good most anytime on Sat. I bring my group on Sat. about 12:00 and never have a problem. I have camped in S 4 for about 18 years so I have  pretty good knowledge of the area. If you need help or have questions on Sat. wander down to the end of my row.
Winginit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winginit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 6:21am
Thanks for the info!  I'm in site 5 of rows 8 & 9.  So by the sounds of it maybe pretty flat?  Glad to hear that Saturday morning should work.  Satellite shows a corral of about a 8 rigs at the end of row 10...I assume that's you Smile
edwards99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwards99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 10:53am
That would be my group. I didn't know Google earth had that picture. Where you are should be pretty level, maybe a 2x6 or a 5 1/4 on the low side. Keep in mind you are allowed to park whatever way you want, provided your hitch is accessible to to street. Since you have both sides of the row,you can face either direction. Sometimes the parking people will tell you different, but I have that info from Gil Rogers who is the head honcho over all the parking at the speedway. He told me that they are instructed on this in orientation but sometimes they don't get it. If you have problems with them, have them get Gil on the phone and he can straighten them out. If you need help or have questions, feel free to wander down to my section. I drive a blue f 250 with a 32' fifth wheel, with NC plates. I should be there most of the day on Sat.
magic miler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic miler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 4:10pm
When in S-4 , look out for feabags. They are EVERYWHERE !!
"PUT IT OUT,TURN 2"
LOUDON STOCKHOLDER

Winginit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winginit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 5:12pm
So had no problems whatsoever getting set up Sat morning.  Only a handful of people were around, the closest maybe 100 yds.  Magic...Now I'm nervous though...fleabags?  Didn't see any, but then again maybe I fit right in Wink and didn't recognize 'em. Or too, maybe I misunderstood your reference.
magic miler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic miler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 5:46pm
Trust me.. They've been there for years. !! You'll know when you see 'em !!
"PUT IT OUT,TURN 2"
LOUDON STOCKHOLDER

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic