FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CONFIRMED: Bristol getting new Spring date.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tarps3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarps3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CONFIRMED: Bristol getting new Spring date.
    Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 6:57pm
From @Noble_Jim:

BREAKING - Darlington moves back to Labor Day weekend, Atlanta to week 2, Bristol to mid-April in 2015 NASCAR schedule shuffle #NASCAR

The Southern 500 at Darlington (SC) Raceway will return to its
traditional Labor Day weekend date when NASCAR announces the 2015 Sprint
Cup schedule, perhaps as early as this weekend. Atlanta Motor Speedway
- which has raced on Labor Day weekend since 2009 - will have its lone
Sprint Cup race weekend moved earlier in the season to week #2 - Sunday,
March 1, 2015. One other notable change will be the Bristol (TN)
spring weekend -- often plagued by weather issues in March, Bristol
successfully lobbied for a later date, and will now hold its spring Cup
race on Sunday, April 19, 2015.

YES!!

Edited by tarps3 - 22 Aug 2014 at 4:53pm
Season ticket holder since 2012.
doggoneracin View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggoneracin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 9:53pm
Atlanta had a lot of trouble selling tickets when it had a March race before because of rainy weather. But I do like the idea of Bristol being a little later and Atl and Bristol not being back to back in August. Darlington on Labor day weekend will be miserably hot camping. If we could just ad one more short track in Wilkesboro that would be great.  
I just want to see a good race.
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 4:33pm
Love it!!!!  Not perfect but getting closer.  Still should drop the spring Bristol date all together and move it to North Wilkesboro or Rockingham.  You'd see sell outs then in the spring regardless of location and in August at Bristol.
Bring back North Wilkesboro Speedway!!!!
cwgamer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 1:56pm
That would be great if true. 
tarps3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarps3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 4:52pm
Confirmed just now in the media center. April 18-19, 2015.
JPSisk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPSisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:23pm
Why can't Atlanta go back to having 2 dates/year?  We gave up a date when Kansas added a track. SMI should move another track (like Bristol) to one race/year and add Atlanta back to the race before Homestead.  Well, maybe earlier as it SNOWED one November years back!  Also agree March race is too early and tends to be COLD, wet and rainy then.  Since Labor Day is gone, why not Memorial Day for Atlanta?  Thumbs Up
JPSisk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPSisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:25pm
OOPS!  Maybe April race won't be too bad.  Still want 2 for Atlanta.
cwgamer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 7:57am
I enjoy Atlanta also, but they have a hard time selling tickets even with one race date. Darlington used to have two race dates forever also. Sorry to say things will never go back to the way it was.
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 8:14am
Originally posted by cwgamer cwgamer wrote:

I enjoy Atlanta also, but they have a hard time selling tickets even with one race date. Darlington used to have two race dates forever also. Sorry to say things will never go back to the way it was.

Darlington is great example of my point that we need to do away with multiple dates at most venues and spread the locations.  Darlington was set up for failure, with the intention of closing it.  Problem was their plan backfired and it has sold out virtually every race since.  Single races at most tracks will result in more sell outs...and there are enough tracks out there that you could still run a 36 race schedule!!!
cwgamer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 2:28pm
That's a good point Bow. I wouldn't mind that one bit (single race dates most tracks). Heck you could even rotate in a couple every other year or so and actually see what works.
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:25pm
Another telling project that is currently on going is the "Daytona Rising" project.  True it is really going to increase fan friendliness but when all is said and done, the seating capacity at Daytona is going to be REDUCED by 1/3!!!!  What does that say about the health of our sport???

ctschroed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctschroed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Bowhntr Bowhntr wrote:

Originally posted by cwgamer cwgamer wrote:

Darlington is great example of my point that we need to do away with multiple dates at most venues and spread the locations.  Darlington was set up for failure, with the intention of closing it.  Problem was their plan backfired and it has sold out virtually every race since.  Single races at most tracks will result in more sell outs...and there are enough tracks out there that you could still run a 36 race schedule!!!

Yep, no reason why some tracks have 2 dates (Kansas). I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but I don't think it is necessary for Charlotte to have 3 weekends. There are other tracks that can handle one Sprint Cup weekend a year that should be added. Iowa is a prime example.
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by ctschroed ctschroed wrote:

Yep, no reason why some tracks have 2 dates (Kansas). I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but I don't think it is necessary for Charlotte to have 3 weekends. There are other tracks that can handle one Sprint Cup weekend a year that should be added. Iowa is a prime example.

That list can go on and on.  Iowa, Wilkesboro, Rockingham, Gateway, Nashville, Milwaukee, Texas WORLD speedway...and those are just the ones I though of in the length of time it took me to type it!
cwgamer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 7:25am
And though I didn't used to be a big fan of road courses, some of the best racing recently has been on them. Especially Watkins Glen. Actually wouldn't mind seeing one or two more of them.
tarps3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarps3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 1:23am
100% agreed on the road courses.

As a fan of all forms of motorsport there is a large contingent of racing fans who just aren't into oval racing. On multiple occasions I've asked why and most of them say they prefer to see cars turn left and right.

As the competition level in NASCAR has soared over the last 10-12 years the NASCAR regulars have improved their road racing abilities to all time highs. Back in the 80s-90s you had drivers openly admit not liking or even having the ability to compete on such tracks. Nowadays its almost like missing the race if you can't get around Sonoma or Watkins Glen really well.

I think NASCAR will have to sit down and take a long hard look at increasing the road racing in the sport. There are untapped markets and dollars they are missing out on. As we all know in 2014, its all about the dollars.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic