FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is my first time...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
helenajn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helenajn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is my first time...
    Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 3:08pm
Hello.  My work offered us tickets to go to this race and I have never gone to one before.  I saw somewhere that there is free parking and that you can bring a cooler.  Is it one cooler per person?  Does that mean I can bring lunch and snacks along with a few drinks of whatever?  Is there food at the race?  What is the cost for food and drinks?  Can I bring something to sit on and a blanket?  I have hip/back issues and can't sit for too long...  What time should I get there for the July 15th race to get a spot in the free parking area?  I would hate to have the need to go somewhere else for parking due to fear of getting lost.  Any tips and information would be very helpful.
Thank you!
madfinnhockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madfinnhockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 2:38pm
Helen, all of your questions would be better answered in the General Discussion topic, which is where the NASCAR people hang out, the LRRS area is for the Loudon Road Racking Series, which I think is the motorcycle races, but I'll take a try at your questions.

I saw somewhere that there is free parking and that you can bring a cooler.  Is it one cooler per person?  Does that mean I can bring lunch and snacks along with a few drinks of whatever?  Each person can bring a cooler as long as it fits under your seat. The NHMS web site has actual cooler measurements. No glass allowed, but people do bring in cans of beer. And you can bring in your own food which is what many fans do.

Is there food at the race?  What is the cost for food and drinks?  Yes they sell food at the track, everything from hot dogs to ice cream to smoothies, but like any venue, it tends to be expensive. Bringing your own is the way to go.

Can I bring something to sit on and a blanket?  I have hip/back issues and can't sit for too long...  The seats are bleacher style seats with backs, but no arm rests. You can bring a cushion or blanket to sit on but you can't bring cushion seats that have arms. http://www.nhms.com/fansfirst/grandstand_policy/

What time should I get there for the July 15th race to get a spot in the free parking area?  I would hate to have the need to go somewhere else for parking due to fear of getting lost.  Parking at the track is free and they do have some trams that you can get a ride on (only before the race) from the parking lots to the track. Check out the maps on the NHMS web site for info on where the trams go.   http://www.nhms.com/images/logos/2012-final-edited1.pdf

Some people prefer to pay a fee and park in a private area near the track. Leaving a track parking lot after the race can take a LONG time..... and those smaller private lots near the track empty out faster.   http://www.nhms.com/fansfirst/transportation/
http://www.nhms.com/fansfirst/transportation/shuttles/

Plan on arriving early, maybe someone on the General Discussion page can give you an idea on what time to leave from where you live (I camp at the track so I don't have to deal with the traffic). Theres lots to do at the track once you arrive there.

Other thoughts are to bring/rent/borrow a scanner so you can listen to the drivers and the tv or radio broadcast. Its so loud you can't hear the public address announcer, and scanners make it a lot easier to follow the action. There are several scanner rental trailers at the track. Racing Electronics is one, you can check out their web site for information and to reserve a scanner  http://www.racingelectronics.com/?gclid=CJfJi72djbECFW35tgodzFmgIg

It gets hot in the grandstands, bring plenty of hydrating fluids and a hat

If you have a lot of stuff to carry from your car to the track (coolers, etc) some people bring a kids toy wagon, but all the stuff in that and pull it to the track, then they chain and lock it to the track fence

Every cooler and bag brought into the track is searched, so no glass, knives, hard booze, stuff like that. No umbrellas either

Plan to tailgate and relax after the race, it can take a while to get out of the parking lot, so its best to sit, relax, eat, and people watch.

So head up to the General Discussion area, open the posts and read them, you'll find a lot more useful info there.

NHMS
Charlotte
Atlanat
Pocono
Kansas
Yark640 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yark640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 4:36am
I stay at the Tom Johnson this just doesn'tsmell right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic