FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The checkered flag has waived

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GFlucks View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GFlucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The checkered flag has waived
    Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 3:50pm
I am writing this with such deep sadness. Bowhuntress lost her battle with cancer early this morning at her house with her parents at her side. It has been year long roller coaster ride for her and the family.

DJ as she was known to us, became best friends with my niece Dawn in grade school. She spent as much time at my brothers as the rest of the kids and quickly became a part of the family. As school friends tend to do, they drifted apart for some years. Facebook brought everyone back together and I realized at the end of the 2010 race season that DJ was a huge fan. I received several texts from her deer camp wanting updates on the status of the last two races of the year. I convinced her to come the last March's race at Bristol, where she once again quickly became part of a big extended BMS/Jelloville family.

DJ could not believe folks like Bucky Covington would just walk up to the campsite and hang out. She was making vacation plans for the August race before we even made it home. DJ was happy everyone had enjoyed her pudding shots and continued to search for new flavors to bring to the night race. She was looking forward to meeting the family members who were not there in March.

DJ worked in logistics at the plant where the Corvette engine is manufactured. She was so proud of the fact that parts made there were also used in ECR engines. Last May, I received a call from her stating Rick Hendrick was in the plant personally building the engine for his new Corvette. She was thrilled. He took the time to sit down and talk with the employees and sign a ton of autographs. He also offered tours of the Hendrick race shops and passes for the Charlotte race weekend to each one. Of course plans began immediately for the October race weekend at CMS.

June brought the opportunity to meet Jodi Geschickter, co-owner of JTG-Daugherty Racing. Jodi gave a very interesting account of the logistics involved in getting the traveling NASCAR circus from track to track. I could see the wheels turning as she tried to figure out a way to put her logistics knowledge to use working for a race team.

Within the next few weeks she was diagnosed with cancer and her world changed. She underwent surgery two weeks before the August race weekend and was so disappointed that she could not see her knew found Jelloville family. Her trip to CMS in October was postponed due to continued treatment. The holidays brought a hope that treatment had been successful and plans were underway for the 2012 race season.

The last few months she went from being on a ventilator to being told she may lose her legs and then being told she didn't have cancer. She went to rehab in February to learn how to walk again. She began making plans to be at Jelloville for the March race. Mid-March brought the news that although the cancer was gone from the original site, it had spread to other areas and nothing more could be done.

DJ was excited to get the get well card everyone had signed. She kept it on her bedside table to show all of her visitors. She was shocked to receive the donation from the jello fund. Her dad said she was so happy to have met everyone. She had told lots of stories about all her knew friends. DJ had even questioned him in whether some of her new found Pike County, KY friends could actually be family.

Although the checkered flag has waived on her time here with us, I am confident that she will be cheering on the heroes of the sport who have also left us way to early. She will be missed by all who had the fortune to know her.

Please keep her parents in your thoughts as they endure these difficult times. RIP Bowhuntress.
Glo
dawg37179 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawg37179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 8:58pm
very nice post Gloria. Anther good one lost too early...

Thoughts and prayers to you and all of her friends and family.
Proud Jellovillian!

suzswv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suzswv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 10:44am
Very well said Gloria.  I really enjoyed meeting bowhuntress in Jelloville.  She talked to me a little online when she first found out she was ill...she kept her positive attitude and was ready to make a return trip to Jelloville.  You, her family, and her friends are in my thoughts and prayers.
Jelloville calling.....
cwgamer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 1:17pm
Sad news indeed. Thoughts and prayers to all her family and friends.
*07* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *07* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 1:29pm
very nice words gloria! very well said. thoughts and prayers with all of her family and friends going thru this loss. . .
lewistondad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewistondad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:13pm
CryCryCry
Mike
montepower View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 8:16am
Sounds like she was a great person, wish I could have met her. Thoughts and many prayers are said.
Always seeking to go faster !!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic