FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bruton/BMS considering changes to the track....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
RyanLeGrand View Drop Down
CMS Fan Advisory Board
CMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanLeGrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bruton/BMS considering changes to the track....
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 4:52pm
http://www.thatsracin.com/2012/03/19/83801/owner-considers-changes-to-bristol.html

Maybe the voice of the people is being heard after all. I do find it interesting that Mr. Smith says that 3,500-4,000 walkups and others stayed away because of the rain. It HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE TRACK....I would be more than interested in voicing my opinion if they are truly open to hearing what the fans have to say.

Maybe, just maybe, they will at least try to fix something they completely ruined...in my opinion.
jpcraig View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 4:53pm
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 5:02pm
Well now.....it looks like some might get their wish.  I'm most curious as to what happens if it is changed back and the racing stays the same????
Bring back North Wilkesboro Speedway!!!!
Terry T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:43pm
It's a lot more than just the track configuration & surface. The cars are different, the tires are different, the technology is different, 25 of the 43 cars are typically almost dead even instead of only maybe 8 or 10 on a good day, the drivers are different, the crews are different.  The previous configuration was an era much like each of our lives.  I wish I could go back to my 20-something body but that ain't gonna happen!!!
Facebook: Terry Tombaugh
"I have a motto: Work to become, not to acquire." -Alan Kulwicki.
rusty View Drop Down
BMS Fan Advisory Board
BMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:54pm
I don't see how it would only take $1 million to get the track back. I'm no engineer, but it seems like the cost of really putting it back the way it was would be a lot more. I hope they change it, but I still thing that there are no guarantees that it will improve the racing because of the may other variables that have changed in the sport.

But if they only spend $1 million, then it will only take 8,000 to 10,000 in additional ticket sales for the Fall race to pay for it, so they might get much more in attendance just on the hope that it is truly going to be a better race.
hemipower426 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hemipower426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:06pm

BRISTOL, Tenn. (AP) — Bristol Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith is considering about $1 million worth of changes to return his Tennessee track to the way it was before a 2007 reconfiguration.

"We are going to take a very hard look at it this week," Smith told The Associated Press on Monday. "We have everything in our computers that shows us what the track used to be and what it is now, and we started working on that last night. I'll have an answer for you next week on if we'll alter the track."

But Smith insisted it was the rain, not fan apathy over the current style of racing at Bristol, that contributed to Sunday's poor crowd.

"We certainly thought it was going to be better, but the rain got us," Smith said.

The rain began late Saturday night and continued until about two hours before Sunday's scheduled start, which Smith said "killed the walk-up crowd. And that alone accounts for 3,500 to 4,000 tickets."

Bristol once was one of the toughest tickets in all of professional sports, but attendance has waned the past several years and its spring race has particularly suffered.

The speedway says it seats 160,000, and although the grandstands appeared half empty Sunday, NASCAR's listed attendance was 102,000. Smith said 8,120 sold tickets went unused.

"Those were tickets that didn't show, people who elected not to venture out, and that's because of the weather," Smith said.

But he remained adamant the attendance decline has nothing to do with the new racing at Bristol. At the same time, though, Smith said he began talking to his Speedway Motorsports Inc. officials on Sunday evening about changes to the track.

The .533-mile bullring was long one of the most popular venues in NASCAR because of the aggressive style drivers had to adopt to be competitive on the tight track. The August night race is considered a showcase, and the combination of bumping and banging for 500 laps on a hot summer night usually led to an explosion of tempers.

It mellowed a bit after the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship was formed in 2004, and drivers trying to make NASCAR's title-deciding format had to be cautious that late in the season. Then came the 2007 reconfiguration, which added variable banking in the corners and opened lanes for two-and-three wide racing.

With so much room, there's not as much contact between the cars, and fans have complained that Bristol just isn't the same.

Smith said SMI will study fan comments this week.

"I want to be sure that the fans like what they see," he said. "If the fans like three abreast through the turns, we do nothing. If they don't, then we'll alter the track. The fans vote is the most important thing."

If changes are made, they'll be done in time for NASCAR's Aug. 25 return to Bristol.

"If I am going to do anything, I am going to guarantee we are going to do it before August," he said.

longtimefan@bms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longtimefan@bms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:31pm
I have been going to Bristol since the 70's and if things don't get any better this will be my last year of going. I have tickets through August. Burton would not have to sell tickets on race day if he would not have tried to fix something that was not broke to begin with. We don't want to see anyone get hurt, but we do want to see sheet metal tore up, tempers flaring, sparks fling, sliding across the finish line waiting on the smoke to clear to see who won.
longtimer
hemipower426 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hemipower426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:45pm
I quit going last fall won't go back till its fixed was spending way to much for a so so showing
RyanLeGrand View Drop Down
CMS Fan Advisory Board
CMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanLeGrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:15pm
I honestly do not think that the racing can stay the same if they bank the track at all the same degree, like it was prior to 2007. The reason they spread out now is because of that variation, which allows for more speed off the corners to those running the top.  If it were back at 36 degrees from top to bottom, it would be virtually impossible to have the spread out racing we have seen.  Just my view...
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by RyanLeGrand RyanLeGrand wrote:

I honestly do not think that the racing can stay the same if they bank the track at all the same degree, like it was prior to 2007. The reason they spread out now is because of that variation, which allows for more speed off the corners to those running the top.  If it were back at 36 degrees from top to bottom, it would be virtually impossible to have the spread out racing we have seen.  Just my view...

It NEVER was 36 degrees, it was closer to TWENTY six...that marketing "ploy" was outed many years ago!  Someone posted in another thread that they found out by laser mapping the pre-07 concrete actually had REgressive banking....in other words the bottom was steeper than the top!  No wonder it was a one grove racetrack!
dawg37179 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawg37179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:50pm
and I keep saying if they could do something between what it was, and what it is now, it might just work for everybody! Better than a 1 groove track, and better than a 3+ groove track that is a sleeper.

Just glad they are seriously looking at a change "back". If attendance continues the way it was last weekend, I think nascar will take away a weekend to make it more "popular"...and I don't want to see that!
Proud Jellovillian!

chakcee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chakcee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:15pm
I also found the comment about the 3,500 to 4,000 walk ups interesting. I know that myself and many friends that live here in the Bristol area always  tried to get in the spring and summer races by scallping tickets on the days of the races because they were always sold out before 2007. We did for the next couple of years also after 2007 but it became reality that the race just wasn't exciting after that and many of my friends just quit going. It is not very fun to watch cars go around and around for 500 laps with no breaks. If you go to the restroom or consession stands now under the non stop green flag racing you miss fifty laps of the race. I know for sure that many of the regulars from pre 2007 would start going again if the track was returned to the old configuration.
lazerdms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazerdms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:23am
I quit  going in 2009 after many years I want be back till its back to the old way. I loved going to the old track  
MEDIC75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MEDIC75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:30am
Angry   as a season ticket holder if things don't get any better this will be my last year of going...   please please do something  we enjoy bristol!!!!!!!
hendrickfan2448 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendrickfan2448 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 11:43am
Changes will be made because we as race fans hit the owner of the track were it hurts this past weekend his wallet.
youther View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 2:41pm
Glad to hear that something "MIGHT" be done about the track. I was vocal about it several years ago here on the forum and was laughed at. I have not been to a race at Bristol for several years now because of the changes.

They changed the racing at Bristol and still expected to get the same money for tickets that they were getting before the changes.

Before the changes Bristol was one of the premier tickets in all of NASCAR, after the changes it became just another track, no better than Martinsville. If anything Martinsville became the better "short" track.

Change the track back and I will be back.

Edited by youther - 20 Mar 2012 at 2:43pm
ben.t View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben.t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:02pm
Love reading all your comments and conversation. Remember, in addition to commenting on this board, send your email sharing your thoughts to input@bristolmotorspeedway.com --- that's what's going to Bruton.
Ben Trout
Sr. Director of Fan Relations
Bristol Motor Speedway & Dragway
Send me an e-mail
youther View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by ben.t ben.t wrote:

Love reading all your comments and conversation. Remember, in addition to commenting on this board, send your email sharing your thoughts to input@bristolmotorspeedway.com --- that's what's going to Bruton.

I have sent my input to him. Thanks.
Rhody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 3:56pm
I hope our voices will be heard.  I was at the race this weekend, drove 13 hours from Rhode Island to get there and was disappointed in the quality of racing we saw and the lack of fans.  When we hear the locals talk about not going anymore because of the type of racing that has gone on since 2007 it is disappointing.  The economy excuse can only go so far.  A race fan with limited means will still go to an event even if it means saving all year to do so.  They will spend the money for a product they enjoy, period!  I will be going back for the August race weekend.  I just hope the track does undergo some changes so we can see even a little bit of what we used to.  A nice mix of the old and new would be great.  A fast, racy track with old school "rubbin'"!!!!!
ConcordCharlie View Drop Down
CMS Fan Advisory Board
CMS Fan Advisory Board

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:00pm
I FEEL IT NOT ALL THE TRACK  CAR ARE TOTAL DIFFERENT  GAS HOTEL ETC  CST DONT HELP  PLUS WEATHER WAS A FACTOR
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:18pm
The sport, the economy, and yes even the fans have changed to a point that I don't think tracks need two races a year.  I sent my input advocating for leaving the surface as is, spending the one million at North Wilkesboro, and moving the spring date from Bristol to NWS.  I'd buy season tickets to BOTH of the tracks!
youther View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Bowhntr Bowhntr wrote:

The sport, the economy, and yes even the fans have changed to a point that I don't think tracks need two races a year.  I sent my input advocating for leaving the surface as is, spending the one million at North Wilkesboro, and moving the spring date from Bristol to NWS.  I'd buy season tickets to BOTH of the tracks!

I will make you a deal. If that happens I will pay for your season tickets for life at Wilkesboro.
Scottt View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:55pm

Changing the track will do nothing to improve the racing. All the tracks are having boring races due to the cars, tires, chase format, etc. Nobody races races anymore, they ride around for 2/3 of the races and super teams come forward at the end and almost race.

Nascar is to blame for the attendance and the only one to fix it will be Nascar. They need to come up with a way to make everyone race the whole race. Award points ever 50 laps or something to make everyone race.

I few teams are racing for the Win.........I few teams are racing to get in the chase........The majority are racing to stay in the top 35. What does that make the racing?? BORING!!!

Any guesses on how many at Atlanta??  25K tickets sold is my guess.

This is racing now........Like it or dislike it.........If you like it have fun at the track, if you dislike it don't go and go support your local dirt track like I do.

I can hope that someday Nascar will wake up and make the races exciting again so I can get back to going to 6-8 races a year. A miss going and meeting all the friends I have met over the years but I can't justify spending a couple thousand dollars to go see this circus.

Edited by Scottt - 20 Mar 2012 at 6:07pm
Bowhntr View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by youther youther wrote:

Originally posted by Bowhntr Bowhntr wrote:

I will make you a deal. If that happens I will pay for your season tickets for life at Wilkesboro.

Be careful what you agree to.  Bruton has a track record of moving dates from attendance challenged tracks and don't think for a minute if he sees another opportunity he won't take it!
bfcracing11 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfcracing11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 8:29pm
Heres a link to Bruton talking about changing the track from an interview with Sirius just a few minutes ago.

http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/bruton-smith-talks-with-the-late-shift-about#
Campin' The Way It Oughta Be
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic